Saturday, March 1, 2008

GLBT (So PC it hurts)

It was once as simple as GLBT. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered. Then a Q was added for queer and soon a second Q, for questioning. Last time I checked there were 3 T's. Transvestite, Transgendered/Transpeople and Two-spirited.

What do we have now? GLBTTTQQ. Seems a bit excessive. Is it not just as easy to say "Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transvestite, Transpeople, Two-spirited, Queer and Questioning"?

Maybe not, but I know that I have a hard time remembering how many T's and Q's are necessary to ensure that nobody is offended.

How about BDSM? Bondage & Discipline, Domination & Submission and SadoMasochism.
At least the kinky folk allow the D and the S to encompass 2 definitions.
Don't get me wrong, All you homosexuals, transpeople, two-spirited, genderqueer, bi-curious, heteroflexible etc etc etc. I love you! I accept you! We're all people, so can we stop the labeling?

Consider this my plea for "GLBTQ" to be all we need.


xoxo

Raw Knee

2 comments:

Jade said...

The three T's are actually Transgenered, Transsexual, and Two-Spirit. I do to a certain extent get your point, but parts of the queer community have specifically tried to exclude other parts. Originally it was only GL. I just like saying the Queer community in general although some people still have a problem with the word queer.

In high school we used to use the acronym GLBTTTQQIAAA (Gay Lesbian, Bi, Transgender, Transsexual, Two-Spirit, Queer, Questioning, Intersexed, Androgynes, Asexuals, and Allies) Although today you could also probably add a P for Pansexual, another G for Genderqueer, another B for Bigendered etc etc.

Thats why I just like the word Queer makes things a lot more simple.

Veronica Michelle said...

You learn something new every day!

Although I can't picture asexuals turning to the queer community for support... I picture them going to convents ;)

Bad humor, sorry.

I've never even heard of all of the A's before! I definitely agree with you that "Queer" loosely defines most sexual persuasions and gender identities (aside from the obvious hetero m/f)

Queer it is!